January 2010: I ended a year long relationship and was not looking for anything new. I was going through a hard time with my brother leaving for Afghanistan for a year and also a breakup so looking for another guy was not high on my to do list. Well I decided that I wanted to "befriend" some of the guys in my brothers Platoons to keep them company and be a friend while they were over in Trashganistan. Also the little sneaky sister that I am did this to keep tabs on him and make sure he was ok because it's Justin and he doesn't just casually call to tell us he is ok... So I needed my informants. Well one of these days I was asleep in bed and around 3 in the morning I get a call from my brother. Well of course my phone was on silent and I did not know that he called until I got a notification of a voicemail. This voicemail was saying "Devin my friend Chisenhall says to add him on facebook." that is all it said. So of course I added him cause I'm nice :) So blah blah blah blah blah January turns to February and February turns to March. This whole time we were just sending friendly messages back and forth to each other. I think our first messages to each other he told me I "had some really nice legs" hahaha smooth talker.
March 2010: So March arrives and nothing has really happened in our relationship, still just the casual flirting. A few days into march I get another call from my brother and he says "Nick says he is going to marry you. He told me after the first time yall talked." Well me being the smartass I am tell Justin to tell Nick "Tell him I'm a princess and if he wants to marry me he will have to build me a castle!" Not thinking that anything was gonna happen. I sure did underestimate my Prince Charming in combat boots :) Next thing I know I was tagged in this picture... A picture of the rocks he collected to build my castle..
My Rocks for my castle.
April 2010: Around this time Nick and I finally had our first Skype date. Let me add in here I am so greatful for Skype without Skype I do not know how I would have made it through this past year. Our first Skype date was amazing. To this day Nick remembers exactly what I was wearing. And tells me how beautiful I looked. Me on the other hand was just worried that my hands and feet were all clammy and I was sweating from nervousness... Glamorous I know!! After this Skype date Nick began saying, Devin I'm going to come visit you during my R&R. I of course said sure come on. Not thinking he actually would. Boy was I wrong.
April 30 2010: This is the 2nd happiest day of my life. Nick was supposed to get to my house from Cincinnati at around 10 a.m. but unforseen rental car problems made it so he didnt get to my house until around 9 p.m. that night. Although that day was miserable waiting for him I wouldn't have had it any other way. We got to have our first kiss at night in the rain. Just running to him and wrapping each other in our arms and having out first kiss.... How Notebookish RIGHT?!
Our 1st Kiss in the rain... Notice the rainboots :)
April 30 - May 12 2010: These days flew by. I made sure that Nick had many first. His first time to the beach at Tybee Island, 1st time in Savannah, 1st time having boiled peanuts, 1st Zaxbys experience, 1st Breakfast in a cup.. It goes on and on and on. While in Savannah he also proposed to me with a ringpop. After about 3 days in Georgia we went up to Cincinnati for a week. It was a great time. I got to meet his family and church family and experience big city life. I fell more and more in love with Nick as the days went by. May 12 was possibly one of the worst days of my life. It was the day I had to leave Nick to go back home to Georgia. By leaving I knew that I was going back home and he was going back to Assghanistan for the next 7 months. Although I was going back I knew that life was just starting. I was going to be with this boy forever.
May-December: We wait and wait and wait and wait for the boys to leave Trashghanistan and come home. I definately couldn't have made it without my Army moms, wives, sisters, and girlfriends to get me through it. These months sucked and we will not talk about them.
December 15-January 12: As much as I have to blog about this time I will cut it short. This was the best month a girl could ask for. Not only did I get my love back I also got to marry him! I got to celebrate the start of my new life with so many people that made it to my wedding. Although some very special important people in my life were not there, my Aunt Robin and my Grandma I knew how excited and happy and proud of me they were up in Heaven. I know my Aunt Robin was probably dancing around up there and my Grandma was probably just sitting there people watching and enjoying all the fun. Our wedding day was magical and I would not have changed a thing about it.... Even the M.I.A groomsman and the UGLY cake that decided to fall appart before the wedding.... Ok I would have changed the cake. But all in all I got to marry my best friend and start my life with him. I got to be with family and friends and celebrate our love. I could not ask for a better man. He is my other half, my best friend and the missing puzzle piece I have been looking for. My family loves him and he loves my family and I am so thankful for that.
For More pictures of our wedding day go to...
http://wessewellphotography.com/photos/main/event.phtml?eid=1674
Although some people would not and do not agree with our "rushed" relationship, it was perfect for us. We got to know each other on a personal basis rather then a physical basis. We didn't have our first kiss until 4 months into "talking". We got to know the inside of each other and not the outside. Yes people will judge and that's ok but for us we wouldn't have our relationship any different. Yes we could have drawn it out a few months or years but December was the right time for us. So judge as you might but I would say we knew more about each other before we actually met then most people do. And that was right for us.
The rest is history.. He is now back in Italy for the next few months. BUT life will go on and we will survive because you know what... It could be worse. He could be back in Afghanistan.. But he's not. I am married to the man of my dreams and he is safe and sound so I couldn't be more blessed.
If you finished this whole thing... Congrats you just spent 10 minutes of your life that you won't get back but you also got to see what the past year of my life has been like. Hope you enjoyed a year in the life of Devin!






Love the blog, Devin!
ReplyDelete